English Designed Web Version

If you are convicted of a MISDEMEANOR, you DO NOT lose your right to vote.

You can register and vote, even if you’re in jail. You can submit your voter registration and request an absentee ballot together. Use the Absentee Ballot Request Online Portal or complete and mail an Absentee Ballot Request Form to your county board of elections. Find both at:

You must mail your absentee ballot request form at least a week before the election. Provide an address on your registration form and absentee request where you can receive mail – either the jail, your home, or the home of a near relative who can help you vote (spouse, brother, sister, parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, mother-in-law, fatherin-law, daughter-in-law, son-in-law, stepparent, or stepchild).

If you are convicted of a FELONY, you TEMPORARILY lose your right to vote.

In NC, you automatically get back your right to vote after you serve your sentence. You just register and vote like any eligible voter and you don’t need a special document that says your rights are restored. If you have outstanding monetary obligations (fines, fees, restitution) and that’s led to extended probation, parole, or post-release supervision, you can still vote. Learn more at:

Got questions? Call Democracy North Carolina at 888-OUR-VOTE or visit




GO ONLINE to to find steps to register to vote online or by downloading a mailable registration form.

MAIL or deliver the form to your county board of elections at least 25 days before Election Day. Find your county board at

CONFIRM your registration by visiting or look for a postcard in the mail from your county showing your registration was received and other info.



Not locked up? You can register to vote in person at any Early Voting site in your county – and vote there, too. You can only do this during Early Voting (NOT on Election Day). Find the early voting sites in your county here:

To register, bring one form of ID with your name and current address, such as a utility bill, vehicle registration, or any letter, bill, NC driver’s license, or document from a local, state, or federal government agency.

For the latest on where or how to vote, call 888-OUR-VOTE or visit